We are at an advanced stage of discussions with a new university who will validate the Community Governance programme in the summer of 2017. This comes after 30 years of delivering the programme through the University of Gloucestershire. Both universities make sure the programme meets quality standards and confirm that the qualification is worthy of their name. The Society of Local Council Clerks teaches the modules and administers the programme.
• The Course Leader is Elisabeth Skinner Teaching Fellow, Cert Ed, BA Hons, FILCM. Elisabeth joined the Society in 2012 as Academic Leader. After an early career in school teaching, she worked at the University from 1989 to 2012 as lecturer and then course leader of predecessor courses.
• The Assistant Course Leader (and Senior Tutor) is Dominic Stapleton BA Hons, FILCM. Dom is a first class honours graduate of the University’s programme. After a career in the RAF and Diplomatic Service, he joined local government in 2000 and Didcot Town Council in 2003 where he was town clerk between 2005 and 2015. He then became a consultant for local councils and was appointed Assistant Course Leader in 2016. Dominic is training to be a higher education teacher through the PGCAP in 2016.
• Johnathan Bourne BA Hons, FILCM has been Town Clerk at Royal Wootton Bassett since 1987. In 2013 he completed three years of service as Chairman of the Society and became Chairman again in 2016. He sees teaching as an adventure and has gained the PGCAP, a postgraduate qualification for teaching in higher education. Johnathan is a Module Tutor.
• Linda Roberts BA Hons, FILCM is Town Clerk of Calne with a first class honours in Local Policy (a predecessor of Community Governance). Linda is passionate about learning and a committed supporter of professional development. She is a Module Tutor and in 2015 was President of the Society. Linda is also studying the PGCAP in 2016.
• Pauline Whitehead and Sue Hobbs are Personal Tutors. Pauline and Sue both have first class honours degrees in the University of Gloucestershire’s programme for local council officers while Lis has a Masters and is Head of Advisory Services with the Society. All three have worked for many years as town or parish clerks.
• Leanne Shadrick BA Hons is our Course Administrator at the Taunton office working from Wednesday to Friday. Leanne has a degree in Education and HNC in Public Administration and is passionate about supporting learning. We communicate with Leanne via the Community Governance e-mail address email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org