We are delighted to be working with De Montfort University (DMU) from January 2018 after 30 years of delivering the programme through the University of Gloucestershire. DMU makes sure that the programme meets quality standards and confirms that the qualification is worthy of its name. The Society of Local Council Clerks teaches the modules and administers the programme. Our academic contact at DMU is Associate Professor Alistair Jones.
• The Course Leader is Elisabeth Skinner Teaching Fellow, Cert Ed, BA Hons, FILCM. Elisabeth joined the Society in 2012 as Academic Leader. After an early career in school teaching, she worked at the University of Gloucestershire from 1989 to 2012 as lecturer and then course leader of predecessor courses.
• The Assistant Course Leader is Dominic Stapleton BA Hons, FILCM. Dom is a first class honours graduate of the University’s programme. After a career in the RAF and Diplomatic Service, he joined local government in 2000 and Didcot Town Council in 2003 where he was town clerk between 2005 and 2015. He then became a consultant for local councils and was appointed Assistant Course Leader in 2016. Dominic trained to be a higher education teacher through the PGCAP in 2016.
• Johnathan Bourne BA Hons, FILCM has been Town Clerk at Royal Wootton Bassett since 1987. In 2013 he completed three years of service as Chairman of the Society and became Chairman again in 2016. He sees teaching as an adventure and has gained the PGCAP, a postgraduate qualification for teaching in higher education. Johnathan is a Module Tutor.
• Linda Roberts BA Hons, FILCM is the Town Clerk at Melksham Town Council. Linda has a first class honours in Local Policy (a predecessor of Community Governance). Linda is passionate about learning and a committed supporter of professional development. She is a Module Tutor and in 2015 was President of the Society. Linda also gained the PGCAP in 2016.
• Pauline Whitehead BA(Hons) FSLCC is a Module Leader and has been the Parish Clerk to North Horsham Parish Council since 2016. Prior to that she was Clerk to Cranleigh Parish Council for 13 years. Pauline achieved a first class honours degree in Community Engagement and Governance from the University of Gloucestershire in 2012. Shortly after she joined the teaching team as a Mentor, then a Personal Tutor. In 2019 Pauline will lead on the Community Governance module as Module Tutor.
• Sue Hobbs is a Personal Tutors. Sue has a first class honours degree in the University of Gloucestershire’s programme for local council officers. She has worked for many years as town or parish clerks.
• Penny Bryant FSLCC is a Personal Tutor. Penny Bryant BA (Hons) FSLCC has been the Parish Clerk for Somersham, Cambridgeshire for 21 years and the new clerks and CiLCA trainer for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Association of Local Councils for approximately 10 years. Penny achieved a 2:1 degree in Community Engagement and Governance from the University of Gloucestershire in 2011.