Community Engagement & Involvement (including the business community) – 8 July
Thursday 8 July, 2:00pm – 3:30pm
The cost for this webinar is:
SLCC Members – £30 + VAT
Non-Members – £35 + VAT
Claim 1 CPD point for attending!
Joining instructions will be sent to you 3 weeks before the event (please check your spam inbox) and your invoice will be sent before the event. We advise that, on receipt of the joining instructions, you are liable for any fees incurred in order to attend the event.
As well as aspirations for improvement to their town and village centres, many town and parish councils are considering the option of taking on assets or services from district, county or unitary councils, or are facing other issues and opportunities that need local support.
This 90-minute webinar looks at practical steps towards involving local people in these larger regeneration-style projects and programmes, whether it be approving them in principle or helping to deliver them in practice. Topics covered will include:
- Communities of place (local residents) and communities of interest (such as sports club members)
- The business community
- The difference between consultation, engagement and involvement
- The benefits of involving the local community
- Ways of reaching the local community
- Ways of keeping people connected and motivated
Depending on circumstances, local people can be involved in many ways:
- Helping to identify key local issues
- Confirming local priorities
- Bringing vital local knowledge to a partnership board
- Spreading news by word of mouth
- Volunteering with community-run facilities such as libraries
- Engaging in community-based fundraising
The webinar covers all these topics and more, and engages participants through key questions like:
- What exactly is the agenda for change in your area?
- Have you sought community views so far?
- How much are the local community already engaged?
- What positive and negative messages have you received from residents?
- What does the area need that the community might help with?
Wrong time? Wrong subject?
The SLCC is always keen to respond to members’ needs for training. If you would like to register an interest in having a particular course delivered via webinar or in your region, please click here to complete an ‘expression of interest’.