Join our Community
The Society of Local Council Clerks (SLCC) is the professional body for local council clerks and senior council employees. Its membership is steadily growing and now represents clerks to over 5,000 councils in England and Wales.
Many councils realise the benefits of having a clerk who is properly trained, fully briefed on the issues of the day and can get fast accurate advice to problems that they may face. In fact, over 90% of members’ councils willingly pay for their clerks’ subscriptions to the Society as encouraged by the Local Government Act.
View the 2019 Membership Flyer for the benefits of membership, making your case for membership and 2019 subscription rates.
Join online today and choose to pay by credit/debit card (pay online instantly), BACS or cheque.
Full member subscription calculator
Remember to add together your gross annual salary or your gross pro-rata salary from all of your councils
|Member type||Joining fee||Subscription|
|Principal or Principal (Affiliate) Member*||£0||£53|
|Fellow or Fellow (Affiliate) Member*||£0||£80|
|Past Service Member||£0||£40|
|Clerk Magazine only||£0||£34|
Other membership types
Whether you’re new to the sector or have years of experience, our range of membership means that there is a level to suit everyone.
The Professional Development Scheme (PDS) contains grades of membership which are awarded on a combination of experience, Continuous Professional Development (CPD), and qualifications. The designatory letters after your name demonstrate where you are in your career. And, as you progress, you can apply for a membership upgrade to ensure your level always reflects your experience.
*Please be aware that the Principal and Fellow cost of membership is in addition to Full or Affiliate membership.
Not sure? Find your membership level
Not sure which membership you should get? Click the link below for more information or contact us for help.
Professional Development & Members
Develop your career, grow your professional development and gain recognition with the Professional Development Scheme (PDS).
Join the PDS as a Principal or Fellow Member today! Already a Full or Affiliate member? Upgrade your membership at any point
PDS Membership Benefits
- Designated letters to use after your name – ‘PSLCC’ (Principal) or ‘FSLCC’ (Fellow)
- Training vouchers to use against an SLCC training course or event which takes place in your membership year – £20 (Principal) or £30 (Fellow)
- Pin badge to wear at events and training
- Certificate to confirm your professional status
- PDS logo to use on your CV and/or job applications
- Three PDS, news bulletins offering the latest training news, advice on gaining CPD points and support with professional development
- Your name will also be listed on the website during your membership to confirm your status. View the PDS Members Sept 19
Eligible to become a Principal or Fellow? View the PDS membership criteria.
For PDS questions please email [email protected]
The aim of this initiative is to help new clerks settle into the profession. Initially underwritten by the government via the National Training Strategy but taken over by the SLCC, this project is designed to assist clerks in their first 12 months and is available to all not just members of the SLCC.
The training initiative consists of four pillars:
1. A welcome pack for new clerks including a booklet called ‘The Essential Clerk’
2. Branch Mentors who enable clerks to find the best way of managing their role, responsibilities and working relationships
3. An informal network of local or district contacts – clerks who are knowledgeable about their area and can help a new clerk find their way around
4. Links to the training offered by the County Training Partnership, the SLCC, and the CALC’s
Are you a new clerk?
Contact us to let us know and we’ll send you a welcome pack
Need a little help? We have a network of mentors ready to help, see the Branch Mentors List Sept 2019 to find your closest mentor.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the answer to your question cannot be found in our FAQs please contact our friendly membership team at [email protected]