South East Training Seminar – May 2022
BOOKING HAS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS EVENT.
Your essential one-day training updates are coming back to in-person delivery for 2022!
Visit your regional training seminar for topical, relevant and hands-on learning for the local council sector. Network with your fellow clerks, peruse the exhibitor zone, refresh your knowledge and return to your council with new skills.
Attend this event to:
- Examine the most significant planning developments over the last year that will have practical and strategic implications for clerks
- Explore the implications and opportunities for the sector related to reorganisation, localism and Levelling Up
- Look at the challenges and barriers faced by disabled people aspiring to join the parish council and discover simple steps to improve access
- Prepare for one of the most significant events – Operation London Bridge. Your council will only get one chance to get it right
- Receive an update from SLCC on member engagement and being the best clerk
- Network with your fellow clerks from the local area, as well as exhibitors and speakers
A closer look at one of your speakers...
Local Government Reorganisation, Localism & Levelling Up
Dr Carlton Brand, Retired engineer, non-exec director, coach, trustee & governor at Wiltshire College & University Centre
Dr Carlton Brand, FRSA is a retired engineer, non-exec director, coach, trustee and governor at Wiltshire College and University Centre where he leads on safeguarding.
He was Programme Director at Somerset County Council where he authored the business case for a single unitary council for Somerset, where he lives, and steered the proposal through the democratic process locally and nationally – it being approved by the Secretary of State in 2021 for implementation April 2023 without amendment.
Carlton worked as a senior manager for Ford Motor Company designing and developing cars and trucks for 22 years, working and living throughout Europe, the United States and Japan.
Looking to work in his local community, he moved into local government, first as a Corporate Director at St Edmundsbury Borough Council before moving to Wiltshire County Council leading on unitary implementation. He was Executive Director for resources and transformation; place-based services (economy, environment, planning and transport); adult social services and public health (mental health, learning disabilities, older people, reablement and safeguarding). He held the statutory posts of Head of Paid Service, Director Adult Social Services and Electoral Registration Officer & Returning Officer for all elections.
Carlton holds a BA (Hons) Business Studies, MSc Advanced Automotive Engineering, Manufacture and Management and a Doctorate in Engineering; he is a level 7 qualified executive coach and programme & project manager and a Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA). His biography appears in Who’s Who.
11 May 2022
Arrival and registration opens at 8:45am
The event starts at 9:30am – 4:00pm
DoubleTree by Hilton St. Anne’s Manor, Wokingham, Berkshire
Members: £85 + VAT
Non-members: £135 + VAT
Bring along a fellow clerk, officer or councillor and get their non-member place for £85 + VAT!
Attend this event and log 2.5 CPD points!