WordPress Essentials for Beginners (23 & 30 November)
Everyone needs a professional looking web site with fresh up to date content, features and design, but having a larger content-managed website built can be expensive and scary for many.
With WordPress you get that straight out of the tin, and all you have to do is learn to use it properly and take advantage of it’s many free features and add ons.
WordPress makes it easy for you to start building / developing a website you can be proud of. It is user-friendly with a large community of users and developers, which makes it a good platform for those just starting out with website development.
This hands-on 2-part webinar is aimed at non-technical content managers and editors, or anyone interested in knowing more about this world class platform.
There are no pre-course knowledge requirements except for everyday PC or Mac skills.
- What is WordPress?
- What can WordPress do?
- WordPress support and help
- The WordPress interface
- The admin bar and previewing your site
- Working with the dashboard
- Customising the screens
- Content controls
- Site admin controls
Adding and Editing Content:
- Planning your content
- Pages vs Posts
- Categories, sub categories and tags
- Adding and structuring pages
- Adding and structuring posts
- Basic look and feel changes
- Defining custom slug names
Site Admin and Configuration:
- Adding users and user roles
- Changing site structure and permalinks
- Changing other site settings
- Managing post and page comments
- About updates
Working with Images:
- Uploading images to the media library
- Inserting images into posts and pages
- Controlling image position
- Defining featured images
- Advanced image settings
- Adding a photo gallery
- Adding videos
Adding More Functions and Features:
- What is a plug-in?
- Installing plug-ins
- Adding a light box to your photo galleries
- Adding a contact form
- Adding Google Analytics to your site
- Adding SEO tools
Customising the Look of your Site:
- What is a theme?
- Changing visual theme settings
- Adding a custom banner
- Working with Widgets and sidebars
- Controlling and customising menu bars
- Changing your theme
- Using a page builder plugin
Thursday 23 November, 9:30am – 12:30pm
Thursday 30 November, 9:30am – 12:30pm
Members: £240 + VAT
Non-Members: £250 + VAT
Claim 1 CPD point for attending each session!
Joining instructions will be sent to you 3 weeks before the event (please check your spam inbox) and your invoice will be sent before the event. We advise that, on receipt of the joining instructions, you are liable for any fees incurred in order to attend the event.
About the Trainer
Mark Jennings has over 15 years of experience with WordPress, and has delivered well-structured training sessions with hands-on practice to several businesses in the South East.
Pre-pandemic he used to run a monthly WordPress Academy for local businesses in North Kent. He has also delivered training to groups of 20 plus in Google Analytics, including the marketing team for the Royal Navy and BOC.
Mark is heavily involved in WordPress management, helping customers by creating and supporting their websites and increasing potential traffic by local SEO services.
Wrong time? Wrong place?
SLCC is always keen to respond to members’ needs for training. If you would like to register an interest in having a particular course delivered via webinar or in your region, please let us know.