Council: Bedfordshire Association of Town & Parish Councils (BATPC)
Salary: SCP 30 – 34, NJC Pay Scales, pro rata
Closing date: 19/03/2021
A renewed opportunity to apply to be our County Officer to work with the County Committee of elected Councillors to support the town and parish councils in Bedfordshire.
The role is to advise and support member councils and requires knowledge of the legal framework within which local councils work, the ability to liaise with the National Association of Local Councils and member councils and to produce a regular newsletter.
Hours: 25 hours per week (Some evening work necessary, with time off in lieu)
Salary: SCP 30 – 34 (pro rata)
Based in Biggleswade, SG18 8AL
Some home working by mutual agreement
Closing date for applications: 19th March 2021
Interviews, by Zoom: Week of 22nd March 2021
To download an application form, please visit our website here.
Job Description for County Officer
Post Title: County Officer
Hours of work: 25 hours per week.
Hours of attendance: 08.30 – 13.30 Monday to Friday (BATPC office hours for member councils 09.00-13.00, Monday to Friday)
Annual leave: 25 days per annum (pro rata) plus bank/public holidays
Manager: BATPC Management Committee
Location: Suite 11, Baystrait House, Biggleswade, SG18 8AL (working from home during Covid-19 restrictions) plus meeting and event locations (Some home working post covid restrictions, subject to mutual agreement.)
Salary Scale: SCP 30 – 34, NJC Pay Scales, pro rata
Travel Allowance: 60.1p per mile (paid through PAYE)
The role involves:
- Disseminating briefings and guidance on law, procedure and good practice for member councils
- Responding to requests for advice and support from member councils (telephone, e-mail, letter) and liaising with NALC, including the Legal Team, as necessary
- Producing and circulating electronically a bi-monthly Bedfordshire Bugle newsletter to member councils
- Organising appropriate training through external organisations. The provision of training for clerks and councillors may be considered in the future.
- Supporting councils who are applying for the Local Council Award Scheme (applications assessed by National Panel)
- Supporting councils applying for borrowing approval through submitting applications to and liaising with MHCLG
- Servicing BATPC committees (County Committee, F&GP Committee, Management Committee) and AGM including production of agenda, supporting papers and minutes and administration of County Committee elections (next due Oct 2023)
- Liaising with the Treasurer to draft the budget and agree affiliation fee invoices
- Attending meetings as officer representative NALC, EEAPTC, Central Bedfordshire Council and Bedford Borough Council
- Encouraging membership of BATPC
- Supporting newly created councils
- Line managing Administrative Assistant