Council: Dunstable Town Council
Salary: £26,999 rising to £28,785 Pro-rata
Closing date: 6 November 2019
We’re now looking for a Democratic Services Manager to join our team at Grove House in Dunstable.
· Competitive salary
· Local Government Pension Scheme with generous employer contribution
· Flexible working opportunities
· Generous annual leave entitlement
If you are a democratic services professional with experience gained in working with councillors or with senior executives/board members, this is an outstanding opportunity to further your career within our town council. In Dunstable, we have an unparalleled opportunity to shape the town in a way that benefits our community for years to come. If you share our ambition and are eager to make your mark, we would love to hear from you.
As the Democratic Services Manager, you will be tasked with the effective management of the Democratic Services function. You will drive the delivery of democratic services to Councillors and Committees. Specifically, you will manage committee administration and members’ services such as the Town Mayor’s engagements and civic functions.
You will ensure that all aspects of the democratic function operate effectively, council committees are supported and the Mayor and the councillors are enabled to perform their civic and political duties.
Your role will also involve:
· Supporting council meetings and publishing the minutes
· Ensuring the Town Mayor is given appropriate secretarial support
· Addressing member training needs highlighted by councillors or the Town Mayor
· Managing the Democratic Services budget
As part of your role, you will be required to undertake regular evening work for Committees. Please note: the ability and willingness to do this will form a key element of eligibility criteria for this role.
To be considered for the role of Democratic Services Manager, you will need:
· Significant experience of working in the field of Democratic Services or similar relatable experience and the ability to demonstrate knowledge of a broad range of Democratic Services activities including committee administration and Councillor support including training and development
· Demonstrable experience of taking formal minutes of meetings that are then open to publication
· Experience of working in a political environment or similar and the ability to demonstrate political sensitivity and giving advice at a senior level, both verbally and in writing.
· Experience of working independently and using your own initiative to solve problems
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for this position you will be required to complete the online application form found here or there is a printable version if you prefer.
Please also find the full job description here.
For any queries please telephone 01582 513000.
Please note that CVs will not be accepted.
Closing date for receipt of applications – midnight, Wednesday 6 November 2019
Please note interviews will take place week commencing 18 November 2019