Council: Ilkley Town Council
Salary: LC2, up to scale point 24, £28,672 per annum (pro rata) on the NJC scale, dependent on qualifications and relevant experience
Closing date: 28/05/2021 12:00
Ilkley Town Council is recruiting a Deputy Clerk to the Council. The role will involve supporting and working with councillors and deputising for the clerk as required. The role will also include acting as Proper Officer to the council when the clerk is absent. The post holder will support the clerk and provide independent, objective and financial advice to the council. This is a key role that requires energy, enthusiasm and commitment. The person appointed will have a can-do, flexible approach to the role and a strong desire to grow with the post as the town council develops.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have relevant experience; a track record of service achievement, be motivated and proactive, with a flexible approach to working.
This is an opportunity for a forward-thinking individual to work at the centre of a community focused organisation.
Applicants will need to be available to work regularly in the evenings and occasional weekends, for which time off in lieu by mutual agreement will be granted.
The role of the Deputy Clerk will primarily be:
- To assist, support and deputise for the Clerk in all aspects of the day-to-day management and operation of council services and resources, in line with relevant laws and statutory obligations to ensure compliance. This means that the role mirrors many of the accountabilities, duties, and responsibilities of the clerk.
- Assist the Clerk in the management of the Council’s finances.
- To clerk the Planning Committee, providing advice, guidance and support where necessary.
- To support committees, subgroups and member initiatives as required.
- To have responsibility for the bookkeeping parts of the town council finances, to prepare budget reports and financial information as required.
- Assist the Clerk in monitoring and control of the council’s day to day financial records and accounts, subject to instruction from the Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer or to deputise during holiday/absence periods.
- To issue notices, prepare agendas and minutes for various of the council’s committees, to clerk these meetings and undertake follow-up work as required.
The job is very varied with no two days being the same.
The successful applicant will have strong communication and literacy skills as well as a good IT skill set. The Deputy Clerk will be interacting with the public, councillors and other organisations in both verbal and written formats. The Deputy Clerk will be both a team player and be able to work on their own without close supervision, showing initiative when required.
Training will be provided to the post-holder, with opportunities for continuing professional development in multiple areas.
The role is 27 hours per week. There will be some evening and occasional weekend work.
The town council will appoint on LC2, up to scale point 24, £28,672 per annum (pro rata) on the NJC scale. The salary offered will be dependent on qualifications and relevant experience.
The town council offers 24 days leave per year, plus bank holidays and is a member of the Local Government Pension Scheme. Employees will be auto enrolled into the scheme after three months’ service. Post pandemic, the postholder will be based in Ilkley Town Hall.
Applications are invited by completing the application form available on the town council’s website here.
And should be sent to the Clerk, Ms Ruth Batterley at email@example.com
Prospective candidates are welcome to call 01943 436212 to discuss the post or seek additional information, prior to applying.
Closing date for applications is Friday 28th May at noon.
The town council and the Town Hall is subject to Covid 19 restrictions and interviews will take place accordingly.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 16th June.