Council: Salisbury City Council
Salary: £44,539 - £46,549
Closing date: 20/04/2023
Salary: £44,539 – £46,549
Hours: 37 hours per week (can be worked flexibly including hybrid working between home and office)
Are you an enthusiastic finance professional looking for a new challenge?
Salisbury City Council are within the 5 largest parish councils in England. Our budget is approaching £7m. We provide services and activities to the Parish of Salisbury in a variety of ways, these include:
- Grounds and Streetscene
- Supporting communities
- Crematorium & cemeteries
- SCC owned buildings
- Information Centre
- Shopmobility service
- Public events and markets
- Hire of Guildhall
The role of Finance Manager (Responsible Finance Officer) is required under S151 of the Local Government Act 1972 is supported by a team of finance officers to ensure all of these activities are carried out with sound financial administration.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has relevant strategic and operational experience in areas such as budget preparation, maintaining and closing both capital and revenue accounts.
- Has a sound understanding of the financial and audit regulatory, mandatory and statutory requirements.
- Can support officers and Councillors in financial processes.
- Is able to identify risks and opportunities and discuss options with Senior Management team and Councillors.
- Is able to work effectively supporting the Council with treasury management, VAT and effective budget controls.
- Can provide financial updates to SCC Committee’s
What we can offer you:
- Flexible working – both hours worked and hybrid location
- Minimum of 30 days annual leave PLUS Bank Holidays
- A great place to work, our last staff survey (December) told us that 97% enjoy working for the Council and have sufficient variety in their job to keep them interested
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme and other health and wellbeing benefits
- Paid sick leave
For an informal chat please contact Annie Child (City Clerk) on 01722 342860
For a full job description please email us at [email protected].
We reserve the right to close the job, earlier than the closing date advertised, if we have had sufficient applications, so would suggest an early application.
Please cover how you meet the essential criteria in your application:
- CIPFA qualification (or equivalent)
- Experience of budget preparation and forecasting revenue and capital monitoring and final accounts.
- Leading and supporting a finance function within a complex organisation
- Knowledge of the Governance and Accountability for Local Councils
- Knowledge of the Accounts and Audit Regulations, Local Government Act 1972 and the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014
- A sound knowledge of IT and proven computer literacy, especially in financial management information systems (SCC currently use Exchequer)
- Excellent organisation and time management skills in order to meet frequent statutory deadlines.
- Able to maintain and present accurate and detailed information to auditors and non-financial practitioners. Including at SCC Committee meetings, attended by media and members of the public.
- Attention to detail.
- A proactive approach to identifying financial risks and opportunities and an ability to communicate these to Senior Managers
- Ability to recognise areas for improvement then work with relevant stakeholders and use own professional knowledge to plan an effective change strategy.
- Able to work with managers at all levels of financial matters (i.e. able to support non-financial practitioners, including SCC officer and SCC Councillors)
- Self-motivated and able to work under own initiative and as part of a team
Ability to work in a strategic and operational manner.
- Positive, assertive, and confident
- Able to work to tight deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities
- Willingness to learn and to contribute to the strategic direction of the Council through membership of the Senior Management Team