Council: Witney Town Council
Salary: SCP 37 – 41 p/a (currently £43,516 - £47,573 inclusive) (depending on experience and qualifications) Plus – Local Government Pension Scheme
Closing date: 13/02/2023 12:00
Witney Town Council is seeking to appoint an experienced, innovative, forward thinking, and proactive Head of Estates & Operations to manage the Council’s estate, buildings, and grounds maintenance services along with driving the Council’s projects programme, ensuring that the Council achieves its targets and aspirations. The Head of Estates & Operations will have the responsibility for ensuring that the instructions of the Council are carried out and will work actively with the Town Clerk/CEO and elected members to help develop and grow those services.
Based in Witney, with a population of around 29,000, a precept of £1.83m for 2022/23 and an annual turnover of just over £2m, it is a town with exceptional facilities including: sports pavilions and pitches, a country park and lake, two cemeteries, allotments, numerous play areas, several parks and open spaces, clocks, a Town Hall, a Corn Exchange and other property leased to others. In addition, the Council has a number of different high-profile projects to commence and complete, and this new post will play a leading part in achieving these.
The Head of Estates & Operations will be expected to lead on implementing the Council’s Corporate Plan as it relates to the services managed, along with any impacts on operations, staffing and budgeting, as well as being responsible for ensuring the Council is up to date with policies and complies with all legal requirements associated with those workstreams.
Key Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Good knowledge of facilities management requirements.
- Experience of managing large capital projects including writing technical specifications and tenders.
- Managing an extensive portfolio of property, buildings, and land.
- Able to work strategically, with others to shape the future service delivery, assets, and facilities.
- Be able to establish, foster and maintain good working relationships with a wide range of people and organisations.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have relevant experience – a track record of service and project achievement and innovation, commitment to public service, be motivated, community focused, and possess sound managerial, communication and organisational skills.
Candidates should ideally have a knowledge of local government procedures, although this is not essential.
What we can offer you.
- 23 working days, rising to 28 working days after 5 years continuous Local Government Service (plus 1 extra statutory day at Christmas) plus Bank Holidays.
- Eligible to join the Local Government Pension Scheme with an employer contribution currently 21.7% of annual salary.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Support for continuous professional development
- Supportive working environment – access to Employee Assistance Programme
- A relocation package would be considered for the right candidate.
- An application pack is available from witney-tc.gov.uk/council/vacancies. Or email [email protected] – please note CVs alone will not be acceptable.
- Informal discussions about the role are welcomed, please contact Sharon Groth, Town Clerk and CEO, via her PA Loraine Harwood on 01993 704379 or by email [email protected].
- The closing date for the receipt of applications is 12 noon on Monday 13 February 2023.
- Formal interviews will take place in the Corn Exchange, Market Square, Witney on Tuesday 21 February 2023.