Council: West Mersea Town Council
Salary: Between SCP 36 and 37 according to experience
Closing date: 08/03/2021
West Mersea Town Council (WMTC) is looking to appoint a Town Clerk effective from 1st April 2021. There will be a hand over period with the current clerk to ensure a smooth transition.
WMTC is a very busy council with a total expenditure of some £500,000 per annum. The town clerk is responsible for a team of three office staff including a Responsible Financial Officer, Cemetery Clerk and two full time ground staff.
This is a full time position with an NALC pay scale between SCP 36 and 37 according to experience. Ideally the successful candidate will hold a CiLCA qualification or be prepared to work towards achieving that qualification within the first 12 months of joining. Local council benefits such as a pension scheme, training and holiday pay will apply.
The council has an extensive website which you can visit here which has a wealth of detail that will be useful to prospective candidates wishing to know more about the open areas and facilities that come under the control of the council, previous financial accounts, Minutes of the various committees, number of councillors etc.
The council anticipates that candidates will possess all, or most of, the following background, skills & experience:
- You are likely to be a senior administrator
- You will likely have experience of legal or compliance responsibility
- People management experience (minimum of two members of staff)
- Advanced use of Word, Outlook & Excel (knowledge of QuickBooks would be useful)
- Understanding of financial controls
- 1st class organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise workload for self and reports
- Diplomacy and confidentiality
- Negotiation skills
- Minute taking
- Ability to see the “Big Picture”
In the first instance we ask that CVs, accompanied by a covering letter outlining why the candidate might be suitable for the position, are emailed to email@example.com.
Short-listed candidates will then be asked to attend a Zoom meeting with members of the Personnel Committee. A final interview may then take place with all members of the council.
Closing date for applications is 8th March 2021.