Council: Ryde Town Council
County: Isle of Wight
Salary: Salary Scale - LC3 / LC4
Closing date: 06/03/2020
Full-Time Position (37 hours)
Salary Scale – LC3 / LC4
Closing Date – 6 March 2020
Ryde is one of the two main towns on the Isle of Wight. Because of its good ferry and hovercraft connections to Portsmouth, it is known as the ‘Gateway to the Island’. However, it is also a destination in its own right, with fabulous beaches, a rich historical heritage, a thriving town centre, an active civil society and a dynamic social and cultural life.
Ryde Town Council serves a resident population of about 26,000 and about 100,000 visitors a year. It has six wards and 16 councillors. The council’s functions have expanded rapidly in recent years, due primarily to the need to take over or co-fund services previously provided by the Isle of Wight Council but also to local initiatives.
We co-fund street cleaning and the maintenance of parks and recreation grounds, own and manage public toilets and run an innovative, award-winning youth service. We also provide substantial funding to support services run by local community organisations, including a swimming pool, art and cultural activities, a highly regarded community centre, a community development worker and a Citizens Advice service. We have recently won an award from the High Streets Heritage Action Fund to help regenerate our high street and are currently negotiating with the Isle of Wight Council to take ownership of the local marina and seeking funding to support the restoration of our historic town hall.
The council now has a budget of over £1 million. It employs 15 staff, 6 of whom are attached to the youth service. We have recently prepared a Place Plan, which provides a policy framework for the town’s future development and emphasises the council’s critical role in leading this development. Our next task is to prepare a corporate plan.
As Town Clerk you will help the council develop the structures and procedures necessary to consolidate its achievements so far and to take the lead in developing the town’s enormous potential. We are looking for a dynamic person who shares our vision of a strong, proactive town council that works in partnership with other local organisations for the benefit of the community as a whole.
We are looking for someone who has:
1. A Certificate in Local Council Administration (CiLCA)
2. Strong leadership and management skills
3. Good written, oral and IT skills
4. Strategic financial management skills
5. Good interpersonal skills, including an ability to interrelate and work with a variety of people, including councillors, staff, officers of the Isle of Wight Council and other local public sector bodies, and representatives of local organisations and funding agencies
6. Vision and imagination
7. With the ability to adhere to all relevant Health and Safety and Risk Assessment requirements and regulations and be the Town Councils lead on Safeguarding.
8. Commitment to partnership working and community capacity building
9. Access to a vehicle for work use
The following experience would also be desirable:
1. Working in a council of similar size or undergoing similar expansion
2. Negotiating and drafting contract agreements
3. Working in the business sector, with a strong commercial acumen.
Candidates must be willing to work flexible hours, including evening meetings, and to be DBS checked.
For a recruitment pack including the application form, please email:
Mr Gareth Hughes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Mr Jonathan Baker: email@example.com
Or telephone on 01983 811105
Closing date for applications will be 6 March 2020